Requirements & Guidelines: 2020-21
Students are required to complete 20 hours of Christian Service hours, 10 hours per semester, while attending Mater Dei High School. Freshmen and new students may begin earning hours the summer before entering Mater Dei. Please see below the requirements:
3 year MD student - 60 hours, at least 30 hours of Direct Service
2 year MD student - 40 hours, at least 20 hours of Direct Service
1 year MD student - 20 hours, at least 10 hours of Direct Service
*Transfer Students - All hours must be earned while attending Mater Dei.
What is the difference between Direct and Indirect Service Hours?
Direct Service Hours
Face to face interaction with the most vulnerable, i.e. the elderly, the disabled, the sick, the poor, and the youth.
- Soup Kitchen
- Facilities for elderly or disabled
- Senior Community Centers
- Coaching youth outside of Mater Dei
- Camps for people with special needs
- Religious education
Indirect Service Hours
All other types of service not listed above.
- Making Sandwiches/baskets/etc. that will be distributed by other organizations
- Environmental projects that care for God's creation
- Fundraising walk or walks for causes
- Parish picnics and festivals
- Service at Mass - going above and beyond one's Sunday Obligation
- Concession stands