Teaching students HOW to learn, not just what to learn...
Recognizing the unique learning needs of our student body, we proudly offer several academic programs and classes designed to facilitate student learning, maximize overall potential, and teach students how to learn, not just what to learn.
- Use of the Learning Center for assistance and studying during non-class hours
- Universal extended time on final exams (all students receive 50% extra time)
- Extra tutoring through the Student Support Lab (SSL) - see description below
- Peer Tutoring
- Comprehensive academic and college counseling program
- An annual subscription to Paper.co, a 24/7 live, online tutoring platform
Monarch Academic Program for Success (MAPS)
MAPS is a two-tiered program for students with documented learning and attention differences, designed to assist with executive functioning skills, academic support, and self-advocacy.
Tier I: Accommodations Only
Tier I is designed for students who are working well independently, and wish only to utilize their accommodations. The $500 annual fee may be adjusted based on approved tuition assistance. Accommodations, determined per diagnosis, may include:
- An Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) outlining academic accommodations
- Extra test time (up to 50%) in the MAPS Testing Center
- Oral testing, preferential seating, peer note takers, & assistance with scantrons
- Use of Learning Center computers for written tests
- Final exams administered in the Learning Center
- One-on-one finals read aloud (determined per need; extra fee per exam)
- Use of a calculator on math exams (per diagnosed math disability)
- In-services and speakers regarding college planning, learning strategies, wellness, etc.
Tier II: MAPS Elective Class and Accommodations
Tier II is designed for students who need assistance with executive functioning skills, academics, technology, and assignment completion built into the school day, with a focus not only on what to learn, but how to learn. It is strongly recommended for freshmen, transfer students, and students with full schedules. The $1,700 annual fee may be adjusted based on approved tuition assistance. Tier II includes:
- Accommodations, determined per diagnosis, as listed in Tier 1
- Specialized executive functioning hard copy planners
- Enrollment in the MAPS day class, a graded elective with a low student-teacher ratio
- Ongoing collaboration between students, MAPS staff, teachers, counselors, & parents
- Mini-lessons on relevant topics (e.g., organization, goal setting, note taking, managing sleep and anxiety, writing proper emails, test-taking strategies, self-advocacy, etc.)
Student Outreach and Resiliency (SOAR)
Student Support Lab (SSL)