After observing recent challenges due to COVID and rising risk factors in teens, Mater Dei prioritized a partnership with CHOC Children's Mental Health at the start of the 2020-21 school year. We have an ongoing goal of building wellness throughout our MD community.
Working closely with the AP of Student Health and Formation as well as our MD Counseling Department, CHOC Psychology provides support and training in student mental health using evidence-based best practices.
Services Provided (students, parents, faculty and staff)
- Workshops on a variety of topics including stress management, growth mindset, and the importance of sleep.
- Resources for faculty and techniques for in-class exercises.
- Confidential treatment options with CHOC team for students (with parent permission)
- Support for campus mental health crises
- Social emotional curriculum to help students understand and manage emotions, set and achieve goals, and form strong relations.
As this program continues to grow, we welcome feedback from our community. We're here to help!
School counselors meet with students for every day stressors (relationship issues, test-taking anxiety, etc.). If school counselors believe you need a higher-level of service, they will make a referral to CHOC using the form link below. Students and parents can also use the referral form.
CHOC is available for assessment of higher-level needs, with short-term therapy or outside referral. The Mater Dei and CHOC teams will screen referral forms to determine the appropriate level of service. You will get a response within 24 hours.
MEET THE CHOC PSYCHOLOGY TEAM