Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the CEEB code for Mater Dei?
A: 053-240

Q: How do I send my transcripts?
A: Mater Dei works with a company called Parchment.  All Official transcripts are sent through Parchment, whether electronic or paper. Click here to order your transcript through Parchment.

Q: What my rank is in my graduating class?
A: Mater Dei DOES NOT RANK students. You can put "NA" (not applicable).
Q: What is my CA SSID?
A: Leave it blank, you do not have a SSID. That is a number given to public school students only.

Q: What grading scale does Mater Dei use?
4.0 scale
Q: How do I sign up for the SATs/ACT? How do I send my SAT or ACT scores?
A: To register for the tests and to send scores for ACT
Q: When should I take the SAT/ACT?
A: Most students should take either for the first time in the Spring of your junior year. The SAT Reasoning Test should be taken in March and the ACT with writing in April. If you are in AP classes, the best time to take the SAT Subject Tests would be in May when you are studying for the AP exams. If you aren't in AP classes, you can take the exams in June when you are studying for finals.

Most colleges will take test scores through the December test date of your senior year, so you should have plenty of time to re-take the tests if you need to. The most common exception would be for those of you who plan to apply Early Action/Decision or to those colleges who specifically state that they want your tests completed earlier. In most cases, you still will be able to take at least the first test in the fall, though.
Q: How do I find out if I qualify for fee waivers for the SAT/ACT and college applications?
A: If your family's income is less than the numbers below, you should qualify for testing and college application fee waivers.

Number of People                      Total Annual Income
 in the Household               (in the preceding calendar year)
           1                                               $22,311 
           2                                               $30,044 
           3                                               $37,777 
           4                                               $45,510
           5                                               $53,243
           6                                               $60,976 
    Over 6 people                           add $7,733
If you think you qualify for fee waivers, bring the first two pages of your parents' taxes from the previous year to your guidance counselor. 
Q: When should I start applying to colleges?
You should fill out as many of your college applications as you can in the summer before senior year. Some schools have their applications available as early as July 1st. There are over 400 colleges and universities that now accept the Common Application which comes out August 1st. The goal is to complete the majority of your applications by the time school starts in the fall! 

Q: Tips on writing an effective college essay?
A: There are many sites that will give you great ideas on how to write essays.
Q: What is a secondary school report and how do I get one?
A: A "Secondary School Report" (SSR) is the same thing as a counselor/teacher recommendation. You must ask your counselor and teachers to write your recommendation at least 3 weeks prior to the due date. When asking counselors for recommendations, you will need to make sure they have a copy of your Counselor Letter of Recommendation Questionnaire. You should also update the list of colleges you are applying to in your Naviance account.

Q: I'm thinking about attending a Community College when I graduate. Where can I get information?
A: The California Community Colleges website lets you fill out applications for most Community Colleges in California. In addition, you will need to take the community college Placement Test.  

Q: I got denied from some colleges, but I want to appeal. What can I do?
A: If you would like to appeal your admissions decisions, be sure to find out what the process is at the specific college. In order to appeal their decision, you should have new information that wasn't included in your original application. This article will help you when appealing college admission decisions.
Q: What kind of questions will they ask me during an interview?
A: Here are some tips on how to answer questions you might be asked.
Q: Do I have all the necessary courses to be NCAA/NAIA eligible?
A:  Eligibility Center Resources
If you have questions please contact:
Ms. Mary McElroy
School Counselor/NCAA Coordinator 

Q: How do I register with the NCAA or NAIA Eligibility Centers if I want to play sports in college?
A: Go to the Eligibility Center to get registered with the NCAA. Those students who are planning to play at the Division 1 or 2 level need to register preferably at the end of junior year.
Q: How do I send my transcript to NCAA or NAIA?
A: Please Click Here to send your transcripts through Parchment. When it asks for the destination, simply type in NCCA or NAIA.
Financial Aid (FASFA)
Q: What do I need to do to get financial aid?
A: You can fill out a free application through The US Department of Education. The application is for federal and state student financial aid.

After filing the FAFSA, students should establish a WebGrants for Students (WGS) account. Using WGS, students can see their Cal Grant application status, confirm and update their postal and email addresses, provide the required high school graduation confirmation once they graduate and can change their college of attendance.

Q: How can I get help filling out the FAFSA application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?
A: Each year we have a financial aid officer from one of the local colleges come do a presentation on how to fill out the FAFSA form. The presenter will go through the FAFSA line-by-line and will answer any questions you may have.

Q: How do you apply for the Cal Grant?
A: Mater Dei does it for you! Your FASFA application is also the application for Cal Grants. 

Q: The UCs might pay for your fees if your family income falls below a certain level. What does your income have to be and what else does it cover?
A: The UC Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan will cover educational and student services fees if you are a California resident whose family earns less than $80,000 per year and you qualify for financial aid. Blue and Gold students with sufficient financial need can qualify for even more grant aid to help reduce the cost of attending college.

Q: I didn't get a lot of financial aid from my college. How else can I get money?
A: Scholarships and grants! Check the "College" section Naviance