Year End Giving Strategies
A DONOR-ADVISED FUND
A donor advised fund (DAF), which is like a charitable savings account, may be the right choice for you. Here's how it works. You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted to Mater Dei High School or other charities—sometimes as easily as using a Web portal. And you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you receive an immediate federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account, and the power to make recommendations on which charities to support whenever you want.
- You transfer securities to Mater Dei.
- MD sells your securities and uses the proceeds for its programs.
- You receive gift credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the securities you donate.
- You can direct your gift to a specific fund or purpose.
- You have the satisfaction of making a significant gift now or funding a life income gift that benefits Mater Dei later.
An IRA CHARITABLE ROLLOVER
When you turn 70 1/2, the IRS requires you to take a minimum taxable amount annually from your tax-sheltered accounts (like an IRA) called a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD). If you're in the fortunate position of not needing your distribution, did you know you can satisfy your RMD through a qualified charitable distribution (up to $100,000) to an eligible charity?
Of course, CASH, CHECKS AND MULTI-YEAR PLEDGES are always appreciated. Visit www.materdei.org/donate to make your gift online today.
Our Advancement Giving Team is here to help if you have questions or need assistance:
Gratefully in Mater Dei,
Erica Adams, VP of Advancement - (714) 850-9533
Allison Bergeron '96, Director of Estate & Alumni Giving - (714) 850-9532
Kathleen Kelly '94, Director of Alumni Giving & Relations - (714) 850-9536
Whitney Pavlik '02, Coordinator of Estate & Alumni Giving - (714) 850-9535